US trading was once again marked by sharp moves on heavy volume. For a fifth straight day, the Dow industrials fluctuated in a range of more than 400 points.
The losses came against the backdrop of recent weak US economic data, the United States losing its triple-A credit rating from Standard & Poor's and the inability of lawmakers to address worries that another recession may be on the way.
New Zealand shares recovered some ground today, having been caught up earlier in another global market slide as fear returned to Wall Street.
Goldman Sachs New Zealand economist Philip Borkin said his US colleagues now saw a one in three chance the United States would fall back into recession.
The fiscal stimulus put in place during the global financial crisis was winding down and fiscal policy would turn quite contractionary, he said.
"Despite the weaker dollar the US current account deficit is deteriorating and is expected to continue to do so. Unfortunately that means a higher New Zealand dollar and as a result we are becoming a lot more cautious about the manufacturing and tourism sectors as a result," Borkin said.
- Battery Tips
- Car Accessories
- Computing Technology News
- funny things nz
- Google News
- Kitchen Tools
- Laptop Battery
- LCD Screen
- LED Light
- Notebook Battery
- Rugby World Cup NZ
- spy camera
- HP JS-400K Laptop Adapter for Switching Power Supply March 6, 2014 pcbattery
- ASUS Chargers 19V 1.58A 30W Charger March 6, 2014 pcbattery
- ACER SQU-207 BT.A0807.002 Laptop Battery March 4, 2014 pcbattery
- ASUS A41-X550 A41-X550A Battery and ac adapter For laptop March 4, 2014 pcbattery
- Brand New SONY VGP-BPL24 VGP-BPS24 VGP-BPSC24 laptop battery March 4, 2014 pcbattery
- Battery for APPLE A1398 A1417 March 4, 2014 pcbattery
- SAMSUNG AA-PBZN2TP laptop battery March 4, 2014 pcbattery
- SAMSUNG AA-PBZN8NP battery pack March 4, 2014 pcbattery