US trading was once again marked by sharp moves on heavy volume. For a fifth straight day, the Dow industrials fluctuated in a range of more than 400 points.
The losses came against the backdrop of recent weak US economic data, the United States losing its triple-A credit rating from Standard & Poor's and the inability of lawmakers to address worries that another recession may be on the way.
New Zealand shares recovered some ground today, having been caught up earlier in another global market slide as fear returned to Wall Street.
Goldman Sachs New Zealand economist Philip Borkin said his US colleagues now saw a one in three chance the United States would fall back into recession.
The fiscal stimulus put in place during the global financial crisis was winding down and fiscal policy would turn quite contractionary, he said.
"Despite the weaker dollar the US current account deficit is deteriorating and is expected to continue to do so. Unfortunately that means a higher New Zealand dollar and as a result we are becoming a lot more cautious about the manufacturing and tourism sectors as a result," Borkin said.
- Battery Tips
- Car Accessories
- Computing Technology News
- funny things nz
- Google News
- Kitchen Tools
- Laptop Battery
- LCD Screen
- LED Light
- Notebook Battery
- Rugby World Cup NZ
- spy camera
- Battery for ACER UM09F36 UM09F70 934T2053F March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- LENOVO 42T4966 42T4965 2ICP5/67/90 laptop battery March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- Notebook Battery FUJITSU FMVLBP103 FPCBP49 for FUJITSU Laptop March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- FUJITSU FPCBP196 FMVNBT31 battery for Fujitsu LifeBook T730 T731 T900 T901 TH700 March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- Free Shipping on All ASUS A32-U47 A41-U47 A42-U47 Laptop Battery March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- ASUS 70-NC61B2000 70NC61B2100 Battery for A5 A55E A5000 A5000E A5000L series 4400mAh 14.8V March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- High quality ASUS C22-EP121 battery March 8, 2014 pcbattery
- High Quality FUJITSU FPCBP313AP Laptop Battery in UK March 8, 2014 pcbattery